Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cannot delete the Distributor Database

I was working on the Replication on one of my production database, to have high availability in our europe locations, as the production database was in the US. The replication I tried out was Transaction replication. Before the replication I tried out the log shipping, and had the recovery model on Full, due to this the log file had grown to 456 GB.

Leaving the recovery mode on Full and working on the transaction replication is not advisable. So I had to delete the replication, I was able to delete the subscription, publication but not the distributor.

The distributor database was huge in size i.e., 456 GB. I could not delete this, the message was it is used by replication.

So to delete the distributor database --- to to management --- activity monitor --- view processes and kill any process running.

Then using sp_dropdistributor you can drop the database or click on replication on the database engine and click on disable publishing and distribution

No comments:

Post a Comment